A Small Worm in the Big Apple

Monday, June 04, 2007

Toronto


While in Toronto, I took the opportunity to get a new passport. That took all week, so Toby and I had times to just enjoy the city. We stayed with my lovely and talented aunt in the downtown-ish area, who made sure we were well-fed with her delicious home-cooking. Got to have dim sum with my grandma. And my grandma got to show off her amazing crafting talents! She's making miniature beaded sculptures, knitting and reknitting sweaters, growing incredible plants, making paper-folded 3D creatures, and has taken up quilting! She's busier than I am!

Our ride in to my aunt's place had us on a streetcar where we saw a huge group of knitters! If I hadn't been so tired from the early morning flight and carrying our luggage, I would have jumped off and followed them when they got off. Turns out this was some yarn crawl, as documented by the Yarn Harlot. I missed out! )=

My brother Ed was to be in NYC (how ironic) that week, but his trip was cancelled so we got hang out with him too. Which meant more eating (Korean hot-pot was fun, and desserts were delectable!) And I got to see a few friends from the area, having yummy Indian food with Fidel and Moira, and hanging out at the park and pigging out on crepes and sushi (separate meals) with Caroline.

Toby and I spent a day at Centre Island. The ferry ride has gone up to $6, a steep increase from the $1 trip I remember from my high school days. But still, it was great to get away from the city and spend time in a park without tonnes of people. Came across these old moorings on Ward's Island:



A fibre artist has certainly discovered the cool moorings too:


We also went to the Metro Zoo. It was a long commute (nearly two hours each way), but so worth it! And what's a trip to the zoo without lots of photos?

Let sleeping hyenas lie:


Stretching after the afternoon nap:


The tree kangaroo Chrissie had a joey about a year ago! This 'little' guy has been out of the pouch for one 3 months. He evidently still needs to be near his mother, and likes to imitate her. We spent lots of time watching these two clamour awkwardly in their enclosure. (Why do tree kangaroos seem uncomfortable in trees?)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home