A Small Worm in the Big Apple

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Wild Goose Chase

Well, it was a Notary Public Chase, but that didn't make any sense as a title.

Why do I need a Notary Public? In order for Toby to file taxes, he needs to include a form requesting a Taxpayer Identification Number for me (since I'm a spouse of an American but don't have a Social Security Number). The form requires us to send in my passport (no thanks) or a notarized photocopy of my passport. So notary-public-a-searching I went.

I first used the internet, which turned up a lot of adds for courses to become a Notary Public. Hmm... There seemed to be one at a stationary store right nearby, Ivy League Stationary. I called them up and they said to try their store at 99th St. That is just over a mile away (we're at about 123rd St). So I called another store which is closer (around 109th St). They, at West Side Stationary, said that the Notary Public is in during normal working hours.

This afternoon, I walked down to West Side and was told there that the Notary Public is at their 99th St store,. Hmm... rings a bell, doesn't it? Must be a family business! Anyway, I walk down to that store. They say that the Notary Public is at their store at 119th St. WHAT? Couldn't the person I spoke to on the phone have mentioned that in the first place? Even after I asked, "And the Notary Public will be there all day tomorrow?" they didn't say otherwise.

Have you ever seen the Bakkom animations? (Warning: Big files.) They feature a polar bear with bad luck, and when he gets frustrated, he lets out a loud, "GRRRRR!"

That's often how I feel dealing with people in this city! GRRRR!

Speaking of taxes, here's a photo of the 2-inch binder full of instructions that Toby thought he might need to file federal taxes in the U.S. The pile of paper on top includes instructions for State and City taxes. No wonder he's stressed out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home